HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Trump Says he Won’t be a Dictator, “Except for Day One”

Former president Donald Trump said during a televised town hall in Iowa, hosted by Fox News host Sean Hannity, that he “wouldn’t be a dictator, except for day one.”

The town hall was hosted in Davenport, Iowa, one day before the former president’s rivals for the Republican nomination met for the final Republican debate at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

During the town hall, former President Trump was asked by Hannity if he “in any way” had “any plans whatsoever, if reelected president, to abuse power, to break the law to use the government to go after people.” To this, Trump replied, “You mean like they’re using right now?”

Later in the town hall, Hannity asked him, “Under no circumstances, are you promising America tonight, you would never abuse power as retribution against anybody?” Trump responded to the question with, “Except for day one.” Former President Trump then proceeded to say, “I love this guy,” referring to Fox News host Sean Hannity, then he said, “He says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said: ‘No, no, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator.’”