HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

FAFSA Delays Cause Major Stress Amongst Rising and Current Students

FAFSA, otherwise known as Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a form that’s completed by upcoming and current students to determine eligibility for government student aid. However, for the 2024-2025 academic year, the FAFSA form underwent major changes that were designed to make it easier for parents and students to fill out. Due to these changes, the form was available to fill out three months later than usual, and even then it was only open periodically. The delay in the availability of the FAFSA has not only disrupted the usual timeline for financial aid applications but also raised concerns regarding the timeline for disbursing financial aid. Typically, students expect to receive their financial aid packages around the May 1 deadline set by colleges for sending out final financial aid offers. However, with the delay in FAFSA applications, there is uncertainty about whether students will receive their financial aid offers anywhere near that date. Additionally, beyond the delay, students and parents have encountered other challenges with the FAFSA form, such as technical glitches, difficulty navigating the application process, and confusion regarding the required documentation. These issues have further compounded the frustrations of students and families seeking financial assistance for tuition. As a senior myself, I encountered many issues with the FAFSA form which has been a major cause of stress. Kadie Coker, another senior, also encountered problems with the form and says it was just now processed after waiting for months, but now will not let her submit it to her schools.