HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Tomato – A Fruit or Vegetable

The Tomato, a loved ingredient in a plethora of dishes around the world. Its sweetness incorporates itself into everyday condiments like Ketchup, but the refined pallet may enjoy it as a fresh splash of color in a wild salad. Even while being a popular ingredient in multiple foods, most people can’t decide whether it is a fruit or vegetable. While the debate is strong in the tomato community, everyone should believe that the sweet red treat is a Fruit.

Tomatoes are fruits and always have been. Despite their savory vibe, they’re scientifically classified as fruits since they grow from a flower’s ovary and pack seeds. Sure, the kitchen might label them veggies, but botanically, they’re just as fruity as an apple or orange. Seeing tomatoes as fruits broadens our grasp of plants and shakes up what we thought we knew. It’s a nod to nature’s intricate ways. So, whether they’re tossed in a salad or baked in a pie, let’s give tomatoes the fruit credit they deserve, blurring the line between science and cooking traditions.