HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

All about Freeland

Everyone hears the wonders of band but do you know the man behind it all?

Tom Freeland is the director and overseer of the band program here at Hillcrest high school. Other than symphonic band he also teaches Jazz band and guitar/ music appreciation class. While also being the director for Hillcrests marching band. 

He’s been teaching here at hillcrest for 38 years. Isn’t that something? He became a teacher because he just knew that was his calling in life. He always had the dream of being a band director and it surely seems like he achieved it. 

His first instrument was the trumpet and even to this day he’s truly a master at playing it even though he might say his playing is nothing special. Freeland has said that his inspiration to continue teaching is the students. He loves to see the students improve in their musical abilities and open their eyes to the bright musical future ahead of them if they wish to pursue their talents. Finally Freeland had stated that he loved to learn. He said he could sit in a class and have the most fun just learning something new. 

So next time you should see Freeland, why not try and wave to him. He’s a great teacher and a amazing musician.