What is “Persona 5?”

Niyla Moore, Reporter

Persona 5 is a 2016 RPG video game developed by P-Studio and published by Atlus.

Persona 5 is the sixth installment in the Persona series. 

Persona 5 is placed in a fantasy based reality which follows a group of troubled high school kids all from different backgrounds and struggles.

The protagonist (That goes under many names) had been transferred to a school called Shujin Academy in Tokyo Japan.

He was transferred to a different school because of a false assault charge issued by a high-profile politician, because of this charge he was put under one year of probation and was forcibly transferred from his hometown. He was taken under the wing of Sojiro Sakura. A man that ran a small coffee shop named Leblanc. 

He was his legal guardian until his probation was lifted.

Persona 5 follows the story of 8 kids (protagonist/Ren Amamiya, Futaba Sakura, Makoto Nijima, Ann Takamaki, Haru Okumura, Ryuji Sakomoto, Yusuke Kitagwa, and Morgana.) who all come from different backgrounds and join a group called the phantom thieves.

These kids made this group because they all feel as though they have lost their place to belong in a broken world. They gradually realize they are living in a toxic and dangerous society. Like this society is resembling a prison full of slavery, oppression, and injustice. Ruled by the corrupted and twisted adults. They can’t live with the system and they can’t live without it, simply existing means they are at risk of being doomed and condemned to a lifelong entirety of slavery.

In search of freedom, liberation, and justice they live dual lives as rebellious Phantom Thieves of Hearts. Using a mysterious smartphone app they named The Meta Nav to help them undertake fantastical adventures by using otherworldly powers to enter the hearts of the corrupted. They do this in order to re-shape and transform the corrupted out of their wicked and cold ways. After changing many hearts the Phantom Thieves realize that society forces people to wear masks to protect their inner vulnerabilities, and by confronting their inner selves and by LITERALLY ripping off the protective masks do the main group of kids awaken their inner powers which are called Personas.

The main group uses these new awakened powers to help those in need The group of Phantom thieves seek to change their day-to-day world to match their perception, end slavery and see through the mask that modern society wears.

Persona 5 (2016) had many sequels and spin offs. Like Persona 5 Strikers (2020) that was a sequel to the first Persona 5 (2016) version. In Persona 5 Strikers you get introduced to 2 more Phantom thieves named Zenkichi and Sophia. And also get into a new gameplay. Where you no longer use the Meta nav but use something called EMMA which is an app used with virtual assistance. 

And there were many other sequels and spin offs like Persona 5 royal, Persona 5 dancing in starlight, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth, and even a new edition that came out in 2023 named Persona 5 The Phantom X.

Persona 5 even has an anime adaptation named Persona 5: the Animation. it’s not all that well like in animation or designs but it does get the story across.

Persona 5 also has an amazing soundtrack. And it’s not just in Persona 5 but in all the persona series.

Persona 5’s soundtrack is sung by Lyn Inaizumi. She has an amazing voice and she sings in almost all the Persona 5 sequels and spinoffs.

You can play Persona 5 on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

I highly recommend trying out Persona 5, and if you enjoy it diving deeper into the Persona franchise and series.