HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Taylor Swift Controversy

From football all the way to movies, the world seems to have a lot to say lately about Taylor Swift. The singer receives some sort of hate almost daily, however, lately she’s been under fire for her behavior during the 2024 Grammy Awards. This year, Taylor Swift was awarded Album of the Year for her record “Midnights.”Despite receiving the award, people had a lot to say opposing the Academy’s decision; Many believe this award should have gone to SZA for her album “SOS”, including some Swifties. What really angered the public though, was Taylor Swift’s behavior when receiving Album of the Year. The award was handed out by beloved singer Celine Dion, and she was not acknowledged by Taylor until after the Grammys. During Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech, she mentions this being her thirteenth Grammy, which many took as bragging. She then proceeded to announce her upcoming album, The Tortured Poets Department, which visibly irritated the audience. Viewers found this behavior self-centered, and were angry at Swift for making the whole night about her instead of the many artists present that were also being celebrated. Online, videos and posts are made dragging her for her Celine Dion snub and ignorant behavior during her time onstage. No matter what, Taylor Swift and other celebrities may constantly be under fire, but is some of the critique really justified? Some say yes, but many of her fans say no, as seen from Swiftie Alana Armenti who gives the statement: “I don’t think Taylor Swift stole the spotlight from anyone at the Grammys by announcing her new album. People wouldn’t care if someone like Kanye was acting like that, it’s only a problem because it’s Taylor Swift. I think she could’ve at least acknowledged Celine though.” Even through all the controversy, many fans are staying loyal and refusing to leave Taylor Swift’s defense.