HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

The Sephora Preteen Epidemic

The Sephora Preteen Epidemic

When you think back to being in late elementary and early middle school, what comes to mind? Is it expensive adult skincare, large water bottles, and outfits that only come together because they’re composed of one brand? For most people past that age now, it isn’t. However, preteens today consider that the dream. If you scroll long enough on almost any social media platform, you’re sure to come across a 9 year old’s “GRWM to _____,” where they slather hundreds of dollars in makeup and skincare on their faces and wear at least 3 different colors of Lululemon. While these videos are mostly made by girls 9-12, you can find even younger kids posting the same things. These kids are obsessed with skincare that’s harmful to their young faces, using brands like Drunk Elephant and Bubble. These products contain anti-aging agents such as Retinol, which has parents and dermatologists concerned for their skin in the future. They seem to think that toys are out, and Stanley cups and solid colored Activewear are in. This was very evident after Christmas, when these kids began to post their Christmas hauls showcasing gifts that one would expect to be given to a teenager rather than a young girl fresh out of third grade. Behavior like this is leaving parents, teachers, and concerned adults alike wondering why kids just aren’t being kids anymore. The blame could go to many things: social media, the lack of preteen spaces and activities, having devices at young ages, and so much more. Whatever the cause may be, these big changes in preteen activity are going to have interesting effects on these kids in the future.