HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Mean Girls: The Musical

Earlier this month, the plastics returned to cinematic viewing in the new Mean Girls: The Musical. The movie is based on the original 2004 Mean Girls movie, and the hit Broadway show. Pop-star Reneé Rap is featured as Regina George alongside Angourie Rice (Cady Heron), Avantika Vandanapau (Karen Shetty), and Bebe Woods (Gretchen Weiners). Overall, the movie is highly entertaining and the subtle changes from the original and the Broadway show were very well done. As for the musical aspect, the songs are well made and very catchy, casting Reneé Rap was the best possible decision especially given her background as Regina George on Broadway. Everyone fit their character perfectly, however, Angourie Rice seems to struggle with her musical numbers, thus producing a very monotone sound, but overall is a great Cady Heron. Some fans feel that the $36M budget was not used efficiently and the production of the movie was poor, but I believe that most of the budget went towards casting and behind the scenes stuff instead of the actual set. Although the movie does not compare to the original, it is still very entertaining and I recommend watching.