HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Representative George Santos Kicked out of Congress

On Friday, December 1 the House of Representatives voted 311 to 114 to expel New York Representative George Santos. Santos was expelled due to revelations that he had fabricated parts of his resume, a House ethics investigation, and a 23-count federal indictment charging him with crimes such as money laundering and wire fraud (which he has plead not guilty to). Santos’ case became a public scandal when it was rumored he had spent campaign funds on an OnlyFans membership, spa days, and botox. After the House ethics report was released Santos claimed that he would not run for reelection. Due to the fact that an expulsion from the House requires a two-thirds majority vote, Santos is now the third lawmaker to be expelled since the Civil War. It is now up to New York Governor Kathy Hochul to schedule a special election to replace him, however, New York law states that the governor make a proclamation of the special election within 10 days of the expulsion. For now, Santos’ seat will remain empty and his office under the control of the House Clerk.