HHS Rampage

The Student News Site of Hillcrest High School

HHS Rampage

HHS Rampage

Divine Rivals
Divine Rivals
April 30, 2024
Elementary Nostalgia
Elementary Nostalgia
April 29, 2024

Spookley the Halloween Hero

Spookley the Square Pumpkin is a 2004 film about the trials and triumphs of Spookley the Pumpkin. Spookley was grown at the pumpkin patch like the rest of his pumpkin peers, but he was different in one way. Spookley was a square. The other circular pumpkins tease and discriminate against Spookley, specifically when the annual Jack-o-lympic Games come around. In an unquestionable loss, Spookley lacked in all parts of the games played. Spookley’s irregular shape proved unhelpful in games centered around round-shaped pumpkins. Right as the winner was being crowned, a savage storm approached the patch. The pumpkins were sent flying to a river, the only thing saving the pumpkins was a wheelbarrow on the brink of kerplunking into the river. The only pumpkin not blown away by the winds was SPOOKLEY! The hero, Spookley was able to use a water tower in order to raft over to the wheelbarrow. Then, he lodged himself in between the left wheel and the downhill terrain of the ground in order to stop the wheelbarrow from rolling down. Spookley was able to save all of the circular pumpkins in the patch. Spookley the Square Pumpkin is a heartfelt but creepily animated film about an individual with differences learning how to use their unique skills in order to serve a greater purpose. Also, this film teaches the audience about how discrimination and bullying have no place in group settings. Everyone has a purpose, just find it. 

Author speaking, I give this animated film a 10/10, Spookley is a legendary character who should be among the greats, i.e. Ghostface, Freddy Krueger, etc.