Hillcrest Highschool Military Signing Day

Braeden Cason, Editor/Staff Reporter

From 10:30 – 11:30 AM today, the 19th of April, Hillcrest held it’s annual Military Signing Day event. This took place in the auditorium, and celebrated students and their commitment to the armed forces. This year, there were three students that have committed to branches of the military: Dakarius Salter with the Navy, Alexandru Lupu with the Marines, and Mischa Oatis, also with the Marines.

The ceremony started with the Southside Junior Air Force ROTC, led by Lt. Col. John Dibert, where they performed the Presentation of Colors. This transitioned into two songs performed by Hillcrest’s chorus group, the Ram Voices of Hillcrest. These were the National Anthem and the Alma Mater, respectively. Former Navy Seal and resource teacher at Hillcrest, Kelly Cassandra, delivered her speech, Commitment to America. She gave insight into the training behind the military and thanked the three young men for what they plan to do for their country.

Staff Sgt. Rodriguez and Petty Officer DiPaolo were there to watch as they signed and to present them with their hats and awards. Mrs. Schmauch was called up to say a few words for Alexandru before he signed to the Marines, then Ms. Steading came up and did the same for Mischa. Coach Shields then helped present Dakarius as he signed for the Navy. They spoke highly of the three signers, each giving examples of their drive and accomplishments. They shook hands as they officially signed into the U.S. Military, getting hats, medals, and certificates. Dakarius was given a check for $10,000 from the Navy, surprising both him and the crowd of parents and students, including his family.

The ceremony ended with Robbie Causey, husband of Dr. Causey, singing God Bless the U.S.A. as students swayed their flashlights back and forth. Students were dismissed and the three new military personnel took pictures with their families. Congratulations to Dakarius Salter-Lone, Alexandru Lupu, and Mischa Oatis!